The City of New Fairview is located in the quickly changing northwest portion of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex along U.S. Highway 287 and Farm to Market Road 407.
New Fairview’s location provides residents and businesses with a rural, small town atmosphere.
The City also accommodates easy access to many major destinations, such as Alliance Airport, DFW Airport, Texas Motor Speedway, LBJ National Grasslands, various public lakes, and numerous business centers.
Neighboring towns include Aurora, Boyd, Decatur, Justin, Rhome, and Fort Worth. Most land in the southeast section of Wise County is included within the jurisdiction of a city due to boundary expansions and extensions. This is especially true of the City of Fort Worth’s ever expanding borders.
New Fairview is striving to have organized and quality growth, while dealing with the issues and challenges of this quick growing and fast changing area of the DFW Metroplex. The City Council and the City Consultants are continually updating City Ordinances and procedures to deal with the conflicts and changes associated with this growth. This will ensure that visitors, citizens, and businesses can find the information and procedures they need concerning living and working in New Fairview.
Even though New Fairview is located in one of the fastest growing and changing areas in the United States, the approximately sixteen square miles that comprise the City are primarily farms and ranches with a few residential subdivisions scattered among the agricultural land. The farms and ranches in this area will be slow to develop into residential subdivisions and commercial properties. This slower growth provides those that live in New Fairview that great rural atmosphere.
The City of New Fairview was originally called “Illinois Settlement” by the early families who immigrated from the State of Illinois.
It later became named “Fairview” for the “fair view of the prairie” that early settlers had from the numerous hills in the City. The name was changed in 1999 to distinguish New Fairview from the fourteen other towns in the State of Texas with the same name.
Pioneer J. F. Thurmond donated land at the intersection of FM 407/Illinois LN and FM 2264/Thurmond for the community to build a church and school. Upon the death of an infant daughter in 1883, Mr. Thurmond donated more land adjacent to this site for a cemetery. This area became the heart of the community.
In 1950, the Fairview school consolidated with Northwest ISD. The Thurmond-Fairview Cemetery Association purchased the school building from the school district for a meeting place and classrooms for the Fairview Baptist Church Sunday School. It has also been used as a polling place for numerous elections.
In the 1970’s and 1980’s with the economy changing and children leaving the farm for other occupations, the City started seeing a change. Dairy farms and ranches were sold for development. The first subdivision is located on Martindale Lane on what was part of the J.F. Thurmond farm.